RE: Linux on AlphaServer 400 4/33

Subject: RE: Linux on AlphaServer 400 4/33
From: James Livingston (jwl@zso.dec.com)
Date: Thu May 13 1999 - 10:54:30 PDT

FWIW, the product name is actually "AlphaServer 400 4/233", and it is an
Avanti, sold as a server. The project name for this was "Chinet", to go
along with the dishware theme long used by the Alpha volume server group
over the years; this started with "Mikasa", the AlphaServer 1000 4/200.
Product developers referred to the card containing the EV4 and APECS
chip set as the "CPU module", and you could configure the box to accept
an Intel-based module. Digital did try, for volume platforms, to use
common components to make Alpha- and Intel-based systems, where
possible.

Cheers,
jwl

James W. Livingston, Jr. - Alpha NT Servers Group
COMPAQ Computer Corporation, DEQwest Engineering
14475 NE 24th Street, Bellevue, Washington 98007-3740
Email: jwl@zso.dec.com * Tel: (425) 865-8792