Re: Encrypted passwords (was Re: in search of popd)

Michal Jaegermann (michal@ellpspace.math.ualberta.ca)
Sun, 10 Jan 1999 09:52:43 -0700 (MST)

AfterBurn wrote:

> ipop server works great for me, havent tried qpopper on alpha, but its
> running on my intel box.
>
> >Now if I can get Windoze to quit with the d*mn encrypted paswords, my life
> with
> >that and samba will be a lot happier too! (grin! I Know how to do it..
> Its
> >just a pain, and I'm dodging it... :)
>
> Its not a pain. Look in /usr/doc/howto. You will find a .reg file for the
> encrypted passwords. Run it on the winbloze box and it inserts the
> appropiate registry settings. Worked for me on win98 to get to samba on the
> alpha.. :-)

Why instead of using abominable registry hacks you will not turn on
encrypted passwords support in Samba? It is one line in config.smb
in current versions (yes, you will need smbpasswd file unless
you authenticate from some other domain password server). As weak
as these passwords are they are still better than a plain text.
December issue of Linux Journal has an article on this topic.
Check it out.

   Michal