Re: X not starting

Fritz Ganter (ganter@fvkma.tu-graz.ac.at)
Sat, 30 Nov 1996 21:18:55 +0100 (MET)

On Sat, 30 Nov 1996, Ville Steudle wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I noticed the following problem:
>
> I entered a nameserver address in /etc/resolv.conf and a route to it. But
> when this nameserver is not reachable (e.g. down), my X server won't start
> (it terminates immediately after initializing the screen).
>
> If I remove the route entry, everything is fine.
>
> Removing the X server authorization didn't help; neither did I get any
> hints by reading the xdm-errors file.
>
> What is the X server trying to look up?

I have the same problem. I have an entry in /etc/X0.hosts to allow a
second machine to send the X-output.
I did setup a little cache nameserver, now its better.

Fritz "who dances with the Linux" Ganter. ganter@fvkma.tu-graz.ac.at
WWW: http://fvkma.tu-graz.ac.at/ganter ganter@quant-x.com
EDV-Consulting F.Ganter Grazerstr. 26a,A-8045 Graz support@quant-x.com
Member of the Quant-X Group: Alpha based Systems running Linux