Re: Anonymous FTP site

Andreas Kostyrka (andreas@ag.or.at)
Fri, 29 Nov 1996 09:44:47 +0100 (MET)

On Thu, 28 Nov 1996, Paul B. Brown wrote:

> Last time I ran into a problem like that, my /etc/shells file did not
> contain all paths to all the shells on my system.
Actually, the idea behind this is:
1) /etc/shells should contain all ``full access'' shells on the system.
2) If a user has a shell that is not listed there, it is assumed that
it's a custom restricted shell.
3) That means, that ftpd doesn't like such users, or chsh for example
doesn't work, because these assume, that a security break.

Andreas