Re: using linux instead of osf

Michal Jaegermann (michal@ellpspace.math.ualberta.ca)
Tue, 26 Nov 1996 19:58:29 -0700 (MST)

> > David Mosberger-Tang wrote:
>
> > [ Answering the following: ]
>
> > Naively, one would expect that, to compute the sine of some
> > argument in single precision would require *less* fp operations than
> > to get it correct up to double precision.
>
> You have a good point here.
> The algorithm per se is the same. I don't
> recall off-hand how many bits of precisions you get with each step in
> a Taylor series, but it seems to me that you should be able to save
> one or two steps when using single-precision.

Ugh! I do hope that these routines do not use Taylor expansions
to compute elementary functions. If yes, then no wonder that DEC
library is so much faster. I do not have right now neither hardware
nor sources, but in general Taylor expansions converge very slowly.
There are better ways to compute such things.

Michal