Re: DEC Multia (aka UDB) - problems booting

Brian E.W. Wood (beww@intac.com)
Tue, 26 Nov 1996 13:12:57 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 26 Nov 1996, Michael Champigny wrote:

> Anthony Wesley said:
>
> > > machine - every kernel that I try falls over just after recognising the
> > > SCSI controller (NCR53c810) with an endless loop of timeout + scsi reset
> > > errors.
>
> > Hmm; do you have any external SCSI devices plugged in? If so, are you sure
> > of the quality of termination of that external part of the SCSI bus? This
> > is a real need when stringing devices off the erxternal port.

On the other hand, if you do not have any external devices attached,
remove the motherboard (loosen the thumbscrews and pull the board
part-way out - then remove the power connectors and then remove the
entire board).

Check the riser card that is the SCSI interface, I have heard of these
coming loose in shipping. Check the connectors on the riser and the
drive. If these are all good, check to be sure that the drive spins
up on power-on, you might have a bad drive.

Brian E.W. Wood
beww@intac.com