Re: using linux instead of osf

Richard Gorton (gorton@amt.tay1.dec.com)
Tue, 26 Nov 1996 07:58:35 -0500

From: Jim Nance <jlnance@avanticorp.com>
Subject: Re: using linux instead of osf
To: axp-list@redhat.com
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 21:50:46 -0500 (EST)

JP == Jim Paradis <paradis@amt.tay1.dec.com>
JN == Jim Nance <jlnance@avanticorp.com>

JP> I am that "representative", and unfortunately, I stand corrected. I was
JP> informed that even statically-linked Digital UNIX binaries could *legally*
JP> *ONLY* be run on Digital UNIX systems. This has to do with royalty
JP> agreements to third parties and "implicit" royalty payments inherent
JP> in having purchased the Digital UNIX license. Basically, the DU license
JP> agreement was drafted back when it was inconceivable that another platform
JP> would appear that was binary-compatible with DU, so a few items were
JP> relegated to the "fine print".......

JN> How about running SunOS binaries under Digital Unix with Freeport Express?
JN> It seems like the same thing to me.

Nope. Sun, being a different company, has different licensing terms than
Digital does for it's OS. Believe me, that was very carefully investigated.

Rick

Richard Gorton All standard disclaimers apply.
Alpha Migration Tools Projects: DECmigrate (mx), FreePort Express,
Digital Semiconductor Linux/Alpha, JavaOS
Digital Equipment Corporation http://www.digital.com/info/semiconductor/amt
programming frustrations could be alleviated by the complete (and
exquisitely violent) destruction of Redmond, WA.