Re: tape drive

Andreas Kostyrka (andreas@rainbow.studorg.tuwien.ac.at)
Tue, 26 Nov 1996 15:06:57 +0100 (MET)

On Tue, 26 Nov 1996, Miguel Avillez wrote:

> hello
>
> I want to connect a Digital Scsi tape drive to my udb for dumping.
> What are the steps to follow regard to the setup of the drive within the
> linux?
Usually:
1) Power down your system.
2) Plug the tape to your system, using a free SCSI ID.
3) Boot your system. At the end of the SCSI detection sequence, the kernel
prints out what devices it has detected. If it says ... 1 tape detected
You are all done.
4) Else you need to get a SCSI tape driver:
a) recompile the kernel enabling the SCSI tape driver.
b) use a module. Depending upon your setup, the driver may
be loaded for you automagically by kerneld, or you may have
to modprobe/insmod it manually.
5) Another thing that could go wrong are the device files. If you don't
have it, you can either create it with mknod or with MAKEDEV. Here are
mine:
[andreas@server andreas]$ ls -l /dev/*st0
crw-rw---- 1 root disk 9, 128 Oct 4 1995 /dev/nst0
crw-rw---- 1 root disk 9, 0 Oct 4 1995 /dev/st0