Re: Samba

Mark Rafn (markr@accoutrements.com)
Mon, 25 Nov 1996 14:56:51 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 24 Nov 1996, Uncle George wrote:

> Does Samba work on Linux/Alpha.

Data point: yes. At least the version included with RedHat 4.0 works on
my UDB to act as a fileserver to my Win95 machine.

> I am unable to get my XXn95 machine to recognize my alpha mach.
> from what I can see in the log file, at debug level=10, is that
> packets are sent from my alpha, packets are sent from the XXn95 - seen
> via tcpdump, but dont seem to be recognised, or intercepted by Samba.

Which log file are you talking about and exactly what does it say? In my
(admittedly limited) experience, Samba problems are almost always due to
something wrong in the smb.conf file or something on the client end.

Debugging methods:
testparms
smbclient -L localhost
everything in HINTS.txt in the Samba source.

Good luck!

--
Mark Rafn    markr@accoutrements.com