Re: using linux instead of osf

Jim Paradis (paradis@amt.tay1.dec.com)
Mon, 25 Nov 1996 15:49:36 -0500 (EST)

> Scott Manley <spm@star.arm.ac.uk> wrote:
> > Ohh I'm not sure about that, I;mn sure the OSF software liscense forbids
> > the uses of the libraries even if they're linked into a binary. There may
> > be a development license which allows this but I'd read the small print
> > rather carefully.
>
> Well, since a representative of Digital Equipment Corporation publicly
> stated that it is "adhering to the terms of the Digital Unix license",
> I don't think we have to worry about it. :-)

I am that "representative", and unfortunately, I stand corrected. I was
informed that even statically-linked Digital UNIX binaries could *legally*
*ONLY* be run on Digital UNIX systems. This has to do with royalty
agreements to third parties and "implicit" royalty payments inherent
in having purchased the Digital UNIX license. Basically, the DU license
agreement was drafted back when it was inconceivable that another platform
would appear that was binary-compatible with DU, so a few items were
relegated to the "fine print".......

So: Do not take your statically-compiled Digital UNIX binaries over to
your Linux system to run them.

Do not do this as often as you can.

--
Jim Paradis (paradis@amt.tay1.dec.com)        "It's not procrastination,
Digital Equipment Corporation		       it's my new Just-In-Time