Re: Red Hat 4.0 hangs on boot, UDB

Fritz Ganter (ganter@rebekka.tu-graz.ac.at)
Sun, 24 Nov 1996 10:07:28 +0100 (MET)

On Sat, 23 Nov 1996, Eric K. Wong wrote:

> Scott wrote:
> >
> > Vik Bajaj wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > My Red Hat 4.0 system hangs on boot, during network installation.
> > > It hangs on the message 'eth0 media is tp' for roughly 15 minutes.
> > >
> > > Is there a fix?
> > >

> > Mine does this too... Sometimes it'll hang for 10-15 minutes, other
> > times it'll boot up as fast as one of my x86 boxes.
>
> As much as I hate "Me too" messages... Me Too... Although my adapter is
> a ethernet and the output is 'eth0 media is SIA0' or something to that
> effect. I find that if I change the 'GATEWAY' field in
> /etc/sysconfig/network to something that's powered on, that fixes
> things, although on and off. It's better than always waiting forever.
> Also, accompanied with these long waits are the failure to load daemons
> such as smbd/nmbd, nfsd, mountd, httpd, sendmail, and most of the
> networking stuff.
>
> Since I don't have a true gateway except when my proxy server is up I
> see no solution to this but to point the default gateway back to
> localhost or eth0's address, but this doesn't work.

O.K. I don't know if this is the right fix. I have fixed the same
problem, but forgot how :-(.

I think it was to create file /etc/nsswitch.conf :

# does not use any naming service.
#
# "hosts:" and "services:" in this file are used only if the
# /etc/netconfig file has a "-" for nametoaddr_libs of "inet" transports.

passwd: files
group: files
hosts: files dns
networks: files
protocols: files
rpc: files
ethers: files
netmasks: files
bootparams: files
publickey: nisplus
netgroup: nisplus
automount: files
aliases: files
services: files

Try it out!

Fritz "who dances with the Linux" Ganter. ganter@fvkma.tu-graz.ac.at
WWW: http://fvkma.tu-graz.ac.at/ganter ganter@quant-x.com
EDV-Consulting F.Ganter Grazerstr. 26a,A-8045 Graz support@quant-x.com
Member of the Quant-X Group: Alpha based Systems running Linux