Re: Red Hat 4.0 hangs on boot, UDB

Eric K. Wong (ericw@pobox.com)
Sat, 23 Nov 1996 23:37:12 -0800

Scott wrote:

> Vik Bajaj wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > My Red Hat 4.0 system hangs on boot, during network installation.
> > It hangs on the message 'eth0 media is tp' for roughly 15 minutes.
> >
> > Is there a fix?
> >

> Mine does this too... Sometimes it'll hang for 10-15 minutes, other
> times it'll boot up as fast as one of my x86 boxes.

As much as I hate "Me too" messages... Me Too... Although my adapter is
a ethernet and the output is 'eth0 media is SIA0' or something to that
effect. I find that if I change the 'GATEWAY' field in
/etc/sysconfig/network to something that's powered on, that fixes
things, although on and off. It's better than always waiting forever.
Also, accompanied with these long waits are the failure to load daemons
such as smbd/nmbd, nfsd, mountd, httpd, sendmail, and most of the
networking stuff.

Since I don't have a true gateway except when my proxy server is up I
see no solution to this but to point the default gateway back to
localhost or eth0's address, but this doesn't work.

ew