Re: Memory and socket problems.

Maurice Hilarius (maurice@ellpspace.math.ualberta.ca)
Sat, 23 Nov 1996 13:55:23 -0700

At 03:42 hrs. 11-23-96 -0500, you wrote:
>Hmmm I've read about these memory problems, but have not expierenced them
>with my own personal machine, or my fathers UDB. On the other hand, our
>companies two UDB's had trouble recognizing new memory above the original
>24 megs that came with the machines. I'm not sure, but I think it may
>have to do with some bad bios. I've heard stories about bad bios's not
>recgonising new memory, but can't tell you what happened.
>
>The president of our company was so p-o'd with the whole situation he
>cancelled the order, and sent the UDB's back. He finally ended up with an
>UDB that worked, and it is currently running Free BSD.
>
>Doesn't help much, but you are not alone in your predicement.

As we have posted here before, there are quite a few Alpha boards that use
unusual methods to determine memory sizing. This problem is very common on
the EB164 boards, and as with them your best solution is to contact your
dealer or the Digital service representative in your area and ask them to
provide current SROMs that don't use the PD code jumpers on the SIMMs to
determine memory size.
The JEDEC standard is to provide coding with these jumpers to allow a
machine to determine memory _speed_, not size. If you have received a
Digital Equipment computer that does this "illegal" sizing, it is Digital's
responsibility to fix it. In our and many other peoples experience they have
been quite prompt and courteous in dealing with this issue.

Cheers,
Maurice
| Maurice Hilarius | The Past is History |
| President / Computer Entomologist | The Future is Mystery |
| Hard Data Ltd. | Today is a Gift |
| 403-456-1510 / FAX 403-457-1338 | That is why they call it |
| maurice@ellpspace.math.ualberta.ca | The Present |