Re: Unidentified subject!

Brian E.W. Wood (beww@intac.com)
Fri, 22 Nov 1996 23:40:05 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 22 Nov 1996, JuGGerNauGhT wrote:

> Hello,
> I just bought a UDB 166Mhz. I have a 3.5 inch 2 gig Quantum
> Fireball SCSI drive that i would like to put in it. So my question is
> this, Will the internal SCSI controller work with that drive (3.5 inch,
> and 2 gig)? I am going to install RH 4.0 ( I have used Linux for a few
> years now, but never with any hw other than intel.) does anyone have any
> suggestions or comments? Also, Is it possable to install from a IDE
> CD-ROM?

The internal 53C810 controller will work just fine, My UDB is controlling
an HP 2GB drive as well as a Seagate 4GB.

The bracket to mount the drive internally is another matter. They are
hard to find and I am told they require that you remove the external
SCSI connector, definitely a BAD THING.

Also, if you do mount the drive internally be sure to remove the
2.5" drive as the power supply will NOT run two hard drives.

Given all this I would just mount the drive externally. External
SCSI cases with power supply can be had for $50.

As for the IDE CDROM, I have heard that there is a IDE connector
on the UDB motherboard. It is certainly not documented in the manual.
Even if this was true you could certainly not mount the drive in the case
so you would have to jeep out the interface somehow. I wouldn't
bother even trying if it were me.

Brian E.W. Wood
beww@intac.com