Re: Passwords

Woodstock (woody@balintrc.gardens.udayton.edu)
Fri, 22 Nov 1996 18:10:59 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 22 Nov 1996, Andy wrote:

> Please excuse me if I double posted this.

Excused. P< )}

> I have
> Red Hat Linux release 4.0 (Colgate)
> Kernel 2.0.18 on an i586

first off, this is the mailing list for AXP linux... Not intel Linux.
The AXP is Digital Equip Corp's Alpha line of machines. (And lots better
than the Intel lines any day!)

> Is there a way to disable the checks for dictionary words in passwords?

Ummm... there's a reason that passwords are anally checked. It's very
easy to get a hold of the /etc/passwd file and run a Cracker on it. I've
done it myself on my machine. Using good passwords is one of the _best_
security measures you can take. Even if you don't have an "open"
machine, it's a good practice to use good passwords _all the time_
And if your password is in the dictionary, it's easily cracked.

balintrc@flyernet.udayton.edu -Woody!
balint@udayton.edu SysAdmin of WoodyNet!