Re: Progress on RedHat 4.0/axp+UDB+PCMCIA?

Paul Stewart (stewart@chopin.ecse.rpi.edu)
Fri, 22 Nov 1996 16:47:21 -0500

In message <19961122092757.23896.qmail@brouhaha.com>, Eric Smith
writes:
>Thunderhawk Alpha wrote:
>> Has there been any progress on being able to get PCMCIA working
with RH4.0?

>Paul Stewart <stewart@chopin.ecse.rpi.edu> replied:
>> Problems? What problems? I used the vanilla PCMCIA sources
available
>> and found only very minor configuration work necessary to build
it. The
>> only stumper I had was actually the insmod (which I mentioned in
another
>> message). After that fix, it worked just fine for me, at least
with the
>> Kodak digital camera card that prompted me to play with it to
start with...

>I've got insmod working just fine, but like T.A., I had no luck at
all
>getting the PCMCIA package to compile. I gave up after about an
hour of
>hacking up timespecbits.h and a bunch of __KERNEL_STRICT_NAMES stuff
and
>still not being able to compile it.
>
>Are you sure you're using RH 4.0? I didn't have any trouble
building PCMCIA
>on RH 3.0 (once I built a working insmod).

I installed 4.0 on my UDB (the first and only thing I've installed on
it).

>If you are using RH 4.0, perhaps you could tell us what minor
configuration
>work you did, or post some diffs.

Here's the diff, relative to pcmcia-cs-2.8.21. The major problem was
that there are headers in /usr/include/sys included with RedHat which
are similar but not the same as the counterpart in
/usr/include/linux. One solution would be to modify the system, but
in this case, I patched a header in the pcmcia distribution (which
then causes a couple nasty looking "redefined" warnings... sigh).
The #ifdef I used is a bit too permissive, so it's probably not
suitable for general consumption, but it did work for me.

*** modules/k_compat.h.orig Wed Aug 21 00:20:18 1996
--- modules/k_compat.h Fri Nov 22 16:20:58 1996
***************
*** 87,90 ****
--- 87,96 ----
#define IRQ(a,b,c) (a,c)
#endif

+ #ifdef __alpha__
+ #include <asm/termiobits.h>
+ #undef __KERNEL_STRICT_NAMES
+ #include <linux/resource.h>
+ #include <linux/types.h>
+ #endif
#endif /* _LINUX_K_COMPAT_H */

--
Paul

P.S., Thanks for all the great information on your site, Eric! I'm certainly responsible for quite a few hits on that web server. I may not have bought a UDB if there weren't people like you around with tons and tons of information and enthusiasm for the platform.