Re: subnetting

Joshua M. Thompson (invid@optera.com)
Fri, 22 Nov 1996 14:39:52 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 22 Nov 1996, Christopher Darrell wrote:

> I'm having serious network troubles trying to get redhat 3.0.3 (waiting
> for a new cd) to work on my network. My question is, has anyone here
> ever set up/used redhat 3.0.3 on a UDB on an ethernet that didn't use a
> 255.255.255.0 netmask? We only have half a class c, so the netmask is
> 255.255.255.128. I'm wondering if this could be the source of my
> network troubles.

The network in my house is a subnet of a class C divided into 16 blocks
(netmask 255.255.255.240). I ran RedHat 3.0.3 on my UDB for quite a while
on this network without any problems. I'm now running 4.0 and it's running
fine as well.

What kind of problems are you experiencing? Subnetting can be a tricky
business so you probably have something configured wrong on the UDB or
even on one of the routers routing between the subnets.

--
invid@optera.com             | We are Grey
http://www.optera.com/~invid | We stand between the Candle and the Star