Re[2]: MILO on Alpha Station 400 won't work.

Mark Hamstra (mhamstra@sullivan.bentley.com)
Tue, 19 Nov 1996 13:29:24 -0500 (EST)

jestabro@amt.tay1.dec.com wrote:

> > Could it be a problem with the graphics card? The ARC reports the card as:
> > 24 Plane Frame Buffer video card: TGA 24 Z-buffer
>
> Does it identify the card as ZLXp-E3? It should, if it truly has Z-buffer.
> It should have *all* the VRAM "slots" filled on both sides of the card, for
> a total of 16Mb, I believe.
>
> If so, This is almost certainly your problem; the TGA support was initially
> tested only on 8-plane and 24-plane systems, *NOT* the 24-plane+Z-buffer
> version. I know of some who have used the 24-plane support successfully,
> and *lots* who use the 8-plane (UDB built-in :-), but have never heard of
> anyone using the Z-buffer version.
>
> It prolly wouldn't take too much to get this going (I thought I had it all
> in there already), but without a card to test against, I wouldn't know
> where to start.
>

> > I read in some instructions for RH 2.1/AXP that there were different kernel
> > images if you had a TGA card.
> > Could this be the case with MILO too?
>
> It's not the case with MILO; that comes with both VGA and TGA support.
> The stock kernels are configured either-or, but with the axp-diffs, or
> as they come from Red Hat, the kernels support both VGA and TGA as well.

Ummm... wait, are we talking ZLXp-E3 support in console mode, or in X? My AS255
had a ZLXp-E3 in it initially (and I'd love to put it back in if there is an X
server for it), and this worked just fine from the console after an SRM boot of
stock Red Hat 4.0....

Mark Hamstra
Bentley Systems, Inc.