Re: Beginners guide to alpha's&

Joshua Snyder (josh@ims1.imagestream.com)
Mon, 18 Nov 1996 22:11:15 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 18 Nov 1996 reaves@unix.asb.com wrote:

> Does anyone know of a repository for beginners that are running
> Alpha's and linux? I'm seeing all this information about arc, srm fgu(?)
> and I've no idea whats really going on. I'm afraid if I mess around too
> much I'm going to end up with a machine I just can't boot. I realize that
> screw-ups are a means of discovery, but I've no source of real
> information. I've even looked around the web, and I just can't find much
> more than a list of supported systems.
>
> I'm running a UDP 166 with Redhat 4.0, and am not sure where to go
> from here. I can't successfully build a kernal(it's over 7 meg - I use
> strip to get it to a little over 1 meg, then gzip it, but get a "VFS: Can
> not open root device" error), I keep getting unaligned memory errors, and
> other misc messages, and I'm not sure how to decipher them

A 166 UDP must be real fast ethernet :) I think you want to say UDB
aka Universal Desktop Box. As for your problems compiling the kernel try
( after configing it of course ) "make dep clean boot". What kernel are
you trying to compile? Did you apply the axp-diffs? You should apply
axp-diff-2.0.21 to 2.0.21 and later kernels and with the newest 2.1.x
kernels all you have to is the "arch=" line in the main Makefile. Make
sure that you have all devices that you need to run your UDB. I did have
to do some hacking to get the tulip drive to work for me, I have 100Mbs
SMC card in my UDB. You don't have to worry about the unaligned memory
errors. They have something do do with the way the alpha uses memory
(could some one please go over this in detail).

Josh