Re: Beginners guide to alpha's&

Terry Carroll (carroll@tjc.com)
Mon, 18 Nov 1996 18:05:31 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 18 Nov 1996 reaves@unix.asb.com wrote:

> Does anyone know of a repository for beginners that are running
> Alpha's and linux? I'm seeing all this information about arc, srm fgu(?)
> and I've no idea whats really going on.

I'm in the same boat. I just ordered a UDP to run Linux, and am secretly
panicking that, when it arrives, I won't be able to get it up and running
based on what I've read here.

So far, though, I do recommend the Red Hat ftp site (ftp.redhat.com). A
User's Guide (which you may already have) is at
ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/redhat-4.0/Users-Guide/ . Another good
directory is ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/docs/ .

> One things for sure; IBM and clone makers really candy-coat pc's.
> Thanks for any information.

Yup. I wonder if this is going to feel like my old Amiga days!

--
Terry Carroll       | "In a professional sports league game played in the
Santa Clara, CA     | United States, the head referee ... shall ... in the