Re: RH4.0/axp needs read permission on /dev/dsp

Erik Troan (ewt@redhat.com)
Mon, 18 Nov 1996 09:46:38 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 16 Nov 1996, Thunderhawk Alpha wrote:

> I set up an account on my UDB for my 10 yr. old to play games like xkoules,
> xevil, etal. xkoules would bomb out with a 'could not open /DEV/Dsp'
> message. When I did a chmod +r /dev/dsp from root (already had world write
> permission by default), the program ran fine. Note that root can play the
> games in the default condition.
>
> Just thought folks might want to know. I'm not sure if this is something
> that RedHat should fix in an update or not. (Is there a security problem
> with setting world read permission on /dev/dsp since it already had world
> write permission?)

We don't do this because it would let people listen in on your office when
they are remotely logged into your machine. While this isn't a root-access
security hole, it's defintely a privacy hole.

Erik