Re: FMU.GZ crashing

Maurice Hilarius (maurice@ellpspace.math.ualberta.ca)
Sun, 17 Nov 1996 00:21:05 -0700

<maurice@ellpspace.math.ualberta.ca> said:

> Maurice> Hi all. I recently went to run the newer fmu.gz from
> Maurice> dec/milo/testimages, and it simply forced a CIA machine
> Maurice> check and locked the machine. I am running it on an
> Maurice> EB164/300MHz. Everything else works normally, and the
> Maurice> system is quite stable, otherwise.
>
>Did you try to run it when booting through SRM? I had the same
>problem when powering up in SRM, loading MILO from floppy, and then
>attempting to run fmu.gz. I ended up flashing MILO into the ROM.
>Once you power up directly into MILO, you can run fmu.gz just fine.
>Definitively a bug, though.

No. The system has ARC only. It was not purchased with SRM firmware. I
suupose it would be possible to put SRM on it, but that would not be legal.
Right?
Also, isn't that a bit of a "chicken and egg" situation? Don't you need fmu
to "flash MILO into the ROM" ?

Cheers,
Maurice
| Maurice Hilarius | The Past is History |
| President / Computer Entomologist | The Future is Mystery |
| Hard Data Ltd. | Today is a Gift |
| 403-456-1510 / FAX 403-457-1338 | That is why they call it |
| maurice@ellpspace.math.ualberta.ca | The Present |