Re: Red Hat vs Craftworks Linux AXP

David T. Witkowski (dtwitkowski@ucdavis.edu)
Sat, 16 Nov 1996 16:38:41 -0800

At 03:19 PM 11/16/96 -0800, Marc Singer wrote:
>I cannot agree enough with this. Neither RH3.0.3 nor RH4.0 were
>tested adequately. Both failed to install on my Alphas.

I installed RH4.0 on an AlphaStation 200 with NO problems at all. In fact,
I'd say that I put 25% of the effort into it than I did on my x86 Slackware.
This is of course completely undefinitive and a singular example, but anyway...

I can't agree more with the idea that customer service should be priority #1
if you're VAR'ing a free product. There is little money to be made in
simply selling CDs of the OS pieces. RedHat (or any of the Linux VARs) are
selling understandability, functionality, and stability. If someone is
unhappy with their purchase, a VAR should provide as immediate a refund as
possible.

...dtw
David T. Witkowski Internet: dtwitkowski@ucdavis.edu
http://www.ece.ucdavis.edu/~witkowsk/
Department of Electrical Engineering, University of California, Davis
PGP Key fingerprint = C7 D9 44 98 75 51 4B 68 AC F7 FC B2 E8 4E 4B 28
"Ours is the age which is proud of machines that think .. and
suspicious of men who try to." - H. Humford Jones