Re: UDB doesn't recognize my external scsi hard drive

Brian E.W. Wood (beww@intac.com)
Wed, 13 Nov 1996 23:30:34 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 13 Nov 1996, Wang, Philip (NJAOST) wrote:

> I just found out that my redhat40 UDBs don't recognize my 4gb Fujitsu
> external Hard drive at the boot time.
>
> I connected the same external scsi hard drive to my Compaq running
> Windows NT, no problem. I can partition, format, and copy files to it. I
> connect it to my 486 PC running windows 95, no problem too.
>
> But as soon as I connect it to my two UDBs, neither one will be able to
> see the hard drive at the boot time. I originally think I can fdisk
> /dev/sdb. But sure I can't because it never sees the hard drive. Could
> it be my scsi cable of not high quality? Or I have to re-install the
> Redhat linux?

When you say "connect it to my 2 UDBs" I hope you mean one at a time,
as you will obviously have trouble if you connect the drive to two
machines at the same time. (Well I have heard of it being done but
both your UDBs would have the adapter at address 7 and that would
definitely NOT work).

The SCSI HOWTO suggests using good quality cables and also suggests
using an active terminator. I had problems before I got an active
term but my external devices were at least recognized.

I have a 2Gb HP hard drive, a 4Gb Seagate HD, a Conner tape drive,
a Panasonic CDROM and an HP scanner all on my external scsi chain
and they are working fine. I am using the "other" release of Linux
for Alpha but I don't think that would make a difference. In any
case, there is nothing inherent in the hardware that would prevent
your drive working.

In my experience scsi problems are almost always cabling and/or
termination.

Just my $0.02

Brian E.W. Wood
beww@intac.com