Re: installing MILO on UDB, RedHat 2.018

Michal Jaegermann (michal@ellpspace.math.ualberta.ca)
Tue, 12 Nov 1996 10:06:09 -0700 (MST)

> At 09:38 AM 11-12-96 +0000, Maurice Hilarius wrote:
> Easy! As I said, make a 1440K partition (fdisk, using the +1440K size option)
> If your new 1.44Mb partition is the 2nd physical partition:
> do the following (VERY Carefully, a typo would be a Very Bad Thing!):
> dd if=/dev/fd0 of=/dev/sda2 bs=10240
> This will make a literal image of the floppy on the HD partition.

As I did not attempt it take this with a grain of salt, but if you are
uncomfortable with dd then various mtools (mformat, mmd, mcopy) should
allow you to create a necessary file system and its contents on a hard
disk partition. Before you try you will need to edit a file /etc/mtools
to tell in it that you have a drive 'c:', say, on a hard disk.

This can be a good idea anyway in case you want later to update
something on this partition without dd and a floppy, although this can be
acomplished by simply mounting msdos file system in some convenient place.
An initial formatting is a hurdle. :-)

Michal