Re: installing MILO on UDB, RedHat 2.018

Maurice Hilarius (maurice@ellpspace.math.ualberta.ca)
Tue, 12 Nov 1996 08:33:28 -0700

At 09:38 AM 11-12-96 +0000, you wrote:
>After much travail I have RH installed on my new UDB. Unfortunately
>it won't boot without the aid of a floppy disk containing MILO. Once
>milo is loaded from the floppy it will boot from the hard disk with
> boot sda1:vmlinux.gz root=/dev/sda1
>and will perform software (non-power-off) reboots until the cows come
>home thereafter.
> I guess that I need to get MILO into the boot blocks of the drive:
>how do I do this? If it's already on there, what do I need to enter
>for these values in the ARC console?

The fact is that the preferred way to make the UDB self-booting is to put a
small (1440K) partition on your hard drive, set to type 4 (MSDOS) and copy
milo and linload to it using dd.
To make the partition DOS formatted is also important. So, how do you DOS
format a partition on an Alpha HD?
Easy! As I said, make a 1440K partition (fdisk, using the +1440K size option)
Then put Milo and linload.exe on a dos-formatted 3.5" floppy.
Stick the floppy in the (running) UDB.
If your new 1.44Mb partition is the 2nd physical partition:
do the following (VERY Carefully, a typo would be a Very Bad Thing!):
dd if=/dev/fd0 of=/dev/sda2 bs=10240
This will make a literal image of the floppy on the HD partition.
Obviously, if you partition is in a different p[lace you will need to adjust
the line above to suit. For the 3rd partition on a second SCSI HD it would be:
dd if=/dev/fd0 of=/dev/sdb3 bs=10240

There is a full description of how to set up the ARC console boot options to
use this, but I will skip this for brevity's sake. If you can't figure it
out, let me know and I will email the whole thing to you.

Cheers,
Maurice
| Maurice Hilarius | The Past is History |
| President / Computer Entomologist | The Future is Mystery |
| Hard Data Ltd. | Today is a Gift |
| 403-456-1510 / FAX 403-457-1338 | That is why they call it |
| maurice@ellpspace.math.ualberta.ca | The Present |