Re: Ports -> Alpha

Tom Hume (tom@goodtech.co.uk)
Tue, 12 Nov 1996 09:45:34 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 11 Nov 1996, Michael Champigny wrote:

> According to Tom Hume:
> No, but to me, this is more important than a Netscape port. There are
> no image manipulation packages for the UDB other than ImageMagick, with
> doesn't come close to the capabilities of GIMP. GIMP is supposedly as
> powerful or moreso than Photoshop for NT.

Dunno about that - layers have only just come in to the beta versions...

> On the GIMP homepage, the developer states that he'd do the port himself
> if he had an AXP to work on. Anyone want to volunteer an account?
> Check out: http://victoria.uci.agh.edu.pl/tools/gimp

If there are no other takers I could probably dump my home AXP box on the
net connection at work on a very temporary basis... dunno if this would
be good enough to keep an ongoing port up to date...

> By the way, the GIMP requires Motif, but it could be statically linked.

The latest beta versions (which are the ones I've managed to compile but
not get working for more than a few minutes...) don't need motif - they
use the gtk toolkit instead...

Tom