Re: eb164 63 MB limit?

Maurice Hilarius (maurice@ellpspace.math.ualberta.ca)
Mon, 11 Nov 1996 16:06:28 -0700

At 11:21 AM 11-11-96 -0800, you wrote:
>Hi again,
>
> after weekend of experimenting
<snip>
>I read elsewhere on this list that this might be
>related to the version of a particular eeprom on the mother
>board. I thought U12 was mentioned. My U12 has a version number
>of DAF2. The chip is a Xilinx 17128dpc.
>
>Does anybody have any definitive information regarding this?

Nothing definitive, but I have used boards with the U12 chip labelled the
same, that is to say DAF12, and they sometimes worked, sometimes not. DEC
sent me some replacements labelled "3EEF" that cured problem once. I
received these replacements from Vince Yannett, E&RT Hardware Engineering,
(508) 841-2920
They also sent me a program that would purportedly rewrite these PROMs, but
of course, with this PROM on the board the machine wouldn't successfully
load the PROM. I understand that if I had the PD code on my RAM suitable for
the older chip coding this might be made to work. Even having the right PD
jumpering on only SIMM 1 and 5 is good enopugh, because they only read the
first SIMM of each bank for PD codes.

>At least my machine is running now.

That's an improvement!

Cheers,
Maurice
| Maurice Hilarius | The Past is History |
| President / Computer Entomologist | The Future is Mystery |
| Hard Data Ltd. | Today is a Gift |
| 403-456-1510 / FAX 403-457-1338 | That is why they call it |
| maurice@ellpspace.math.ualberta.ca | The Present |