Re: Lus paa tjaerekost (or molasses in january)

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@cs.Helsinki.FI)
Mon, 11 Nov 1996 18:06:20 +0200 (EET)

On Fri, 11 Nov 116, Johan Grape wrote:

> System: Aspen durango 433MHz (PC164) 128Megs RAM
> NCR Fast SCSI-2
> Quantum XP.. 2gig
>
> building a 2.0.18 kernel w/ basic networking and
> SCSI driver and most features as modules.
>
> time make vmlinux
> 292.92user 28.65system 5:52.94elapsed

That's a very reasonable time for an alpha kernel compile..

> This is really disappointing. And the time does *not*
> improve with second make on an idle system (most
> files cached).

Indeed. It should be around 90% CPU time to compile a kernel on any machine
with reasonable amounts of memory.

> AFAIK this compares to a 200MHz Cyrix or Pentium.
>
> Is this typical, or do I have some problem with my setup?

It's typical, and it's not a problem on you end.

The reason it looks comparable to a 200MHz Pentium is mainly because you
compare different things. The compiler may be similarly named, but compiling
for x86 and compiling for alpha are pretty different things. Gcc is for some
reason much slower on the alpha than on an x86. My personal guess is that
there is either some instruction scheduling issue or some O(exp(n)) routine
wrt number of registers or similar.

And yes, I think it's sad too, as compiling is what I do most. The alpha
does make it up in other areas, but it's still sad..

Linus