Re: eb164 63 MB limit?

Joshua M. Thompson (invid@optera.com)
Fri, 8 Nov 1996 19:22:10 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 8 Nov 1996, Rolf Karlstad wrote:

> Well, reading through the deluge of mail on this list, I think that I have made
> a (dissapointing) realization.
>
> 63 MB is really the limit with my eb164 and RedHat Linux.

Have you seen the posts about my continuing problems with large memory
sizes on my universal desktop boxes? There may be a common problem here.

> Also, of course, / and /usr must be on the same partition. (4.0 bug)

Move all of the libnss_* files from /usr/lib to /lib. This will cure the
problem with rebooting when /usr is on its own partition.

> I am reinstalling now with no apparent problems with milo configured to 63 MB.
> Just moments ago, with 128 MB set as MEMORY_SIZE (in milo..) mkswap crashed,
> then later, (with swap ignored for the meanwhile) the installer crashed while
> unpacking the xf86 package.

Ya know I never tried this with my problem. I will try putting my memory
back in and rebooting as a 63 MB machine and see what happens.

> Well, I'll run like this for a while, hopefully I can build a kernel that will
> support 128 MB -- PLEASE, though, if anybody knows anything about this
> disturbing aspect of Linux, let me (us?) know.

I'm investigating the cause of the problem on my system as I write this
(plowing through kernel source to be exact). I'll let you know what I
find.

--
invid@optera.com             | We are Grey
http://www.optera.com/~invid | We stand between the Candle and the Star