Re: eb164 RH 4.0

Maurice Hilarius (maurice@ellpspace.math.ualberta.ca)
Fri, 8 Nov 1996 17:20:01 -0700

At 11:40 AM 11-09-96 -0800, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I posted recently about my RH 4.0 installation problems on my eb164
>machine. Basically any large amount of disk activity would hang the
>machine completely. My machine consists of the following:
>
>333Mhz eb164 board
>128 Megs of ram
>2 Megs cache
>ncr 53c825 fast wide scsi controller
>Quantum XP34300 Gig fast wide scsi drive
>Diamond S3 video

Well, maybe same as some problems I have had with EB164.
Things to check:
SROM's on some machines don't recognise RAM properly. Does SRM or MILO see
right amount of RAM?
Bad cache can show up in mysterious ways, as well. Only way to check this is
to change it (not so easy, as it is a very special part).

I do know that after fighting with an EB164 very much like yours, it is now
running, with 256MB RAM, 512MB of swap, and kernel 2.0.24, and is quite
happy so far. Only thing else really different is that it is running a
300MHz clock, and an NCR53c810 narrow scsi.

Cheers,
Maurice
| Maurice Hilarius | The Past is History |
| President / Computer Entomologist | The Future is Mystery |
| Hard Data Ltd. | Today is a Gift |
| 403-456-1510 / FAX 403-457-1338 | That is why they call it |
| maurice@ellpspace.math.ualberta.ca | The Present |