Re: Follow up to problem with 32 MB SIMMs on UDB (Repost)

Joshua M. Thompson (invid@optera.com)
Fri, 8 Nov 1996 17:15:40 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 8 Nov 1996 jestabro@amt.tay1.dec.com wrote:

> Problems like this are sometimes related to an early SROM revision. The SROM
> is an onboard, non_FLASHable ROM that does most memory-related setup during
> power on startup. Things such as memory sizing and the like. Early revs of
> the SROM may not handle new, larger memory SIMMs correctly for some
> reason. See if there's any way your vendor or DEC Field Service could get
> you an update.

Thanks, I will try that. What confuses me though is that if I go back to
my old 2.0.18 kernel w/o AXP diffs, this problem will turn into nothing
more than an occasional correctable memory error. Back when i originally
built that kernel, I tried putting the axp diffs in and ended up with this
same problem. At the time I was still running RedHat 3.0.3, so I was able
to compile without AXP diffs. Can't do that anymore.

The only problem with using the old kernel is that I have this brand new
BusLogic Wide SCSI card here, and the old kernel I built has no BusLogic
driver.

I've spent the past day looking over the alpha kernel code and athe AXP
diffs, and I can't find any signifigant changes in the lca code that could
possibly cause this problem. The changes that are put in by applying the
diffs look like nothing more than changes to the way machine check errors
are displayed.

What I may try doing today is unpatching lca.c and recompiling just to see
what happens.

Someone else on the list mentioned problems when they accessed memory past
the 64 MB mark for the first time. It occurs to me that maybe it's not
that I'm using 32 MB SIMMs, but possibly it is the fact that with 32 MB
SIMMs installed the system will always have at least 64 MB of RAM.

--
invid@optera.com             | We are Grey
http://www.optera.com/~invid | We stand between the Candle and the Star