Re: quake help...

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@cs.Helsinki.FI)
Thu, 7 Nov 1996 12:54:57 +0200 (EET)

On Thu, 7 Nov 1996, Nicholas Alexander Bastin wrote:

> I'm having difficulty trying to run quake on my UDB. I execute the
> necessary steps and get the necessary files to make it work, and then,
> when I launch /usr/quake/alpha-EXP-xquake, the following is dumped to the
> screen:
>
> Added packfile ./id1/pak0.pak (339 files)
> FindFile: can't find gfx/pop.lmp
> Playing shareware version.
> PackFile: ./id1/pak0.pak : gfx.wad
> Console initialized.
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>
> After which it proceeds, as it stated, to dump core and drop me back at
> the command prompt...any idea what I'm doing wrong here?

This looks like the quake bug that happens if quake cannot look up your local
host address. Make sure your host lookup is ok, and especially your
/etc/nsswitch.conf file is ok (it should generally start off with something
like

passwd: files
shadow: files
group: files

hosts: files dns

but that depends a bit on what your configuration is).

Another problem with the current quake is that it's based on quake-1.01 and
thus can only run with the older world files. I have the 1.06 sources now,
but I won't be able to work on them until next week. It _will_ get fixed, but
you'll just have to wait a short while..

Linus