Re: 3.5 inch drive

Maurice Hilarius (maurice@ellpspace.math.ualberta.ca)
Wed, 6 Nov 1996 23:51:03 -0700

At 10:40 hrs. 11-05-96 +0500, you wrote:

>> I talked to the company that sold me my UDB today(Asking when it would
>> come). They tell me that they have a special bracket that will allow me
>> to install an internal 3.5 inch Hard Drive rather than a 2.5 inch one.
>> The catch is that I will have to forefit the PCI slot to the space the
>> larger drive will take up. My Question is does anybody see any drawbacks
>> to doing that, or something I would definately need to install in the PCI
>> slot(ie a monitor card if it didn't come with a built in monitor port, or
>> something like that that I'm overlooking.)

Replacing the small and slow 2.5-inch drive is one of the best
>things you can do for a UDB.
>
>MAKE SURE THAT THE EXTERNAL SCSI PORT IS STILL AVAILABLE! Depending on the
>model of riser card that is installed, the cable for the external SCSI port
>may not be installed, so if you want to be able to hang external drives onto
>the UDB, ensure that it's still connected and working.

Doubly Agreed. Otherwise, just how _WOULD_ you install a CDROM drive to
install Red Hat from?

>> Would it be a SCSI-II Fast or Wide HD that I would need, I don't know
>> what the difference is between the two.
>
>SCSI-II Fast, *not* Wide, as the builtin controller is not capable of Wide.

I disagree Jay. If he can get an Ultra or Wide (or both) drive it will still
work, will just need a cable adapter. Wide drives are downwardly compatible
with narrow, and Ultra is also downwardly compatible. At the price they are
getting to now, there is little sense in buying older technology. The drive
just _might_ outlive the UDB for him...

>--Jay++

Cheers,
Maurice
| Maurice Hilarius | The Past is History |
| President / Computer Entomologist | The Future is Mystery |
| Hard Data Ltd. | Today is a Gift |
| 403-456-1510 / FAX 403-457-1338 | That is why they call it |
| maurice@ellpspace.math.ualberta.ca | The Present |