Re: UDB video modes

jestabro@amt.tay1.dec.com
Wed, 06 Nov 1996 09:45:09 -0500

>>> "D. Steven Daniel" said:
>
> On Tue, 5 Nov 1996, Jay A Estabrook wrote:
>
> > At 04:06 PM 11/5/96 -0500, you wrote:
> > >According to D. Steven Daniel:

> > [We are talking about the rectangular group of 4 jumpers on the UDB MB]
> >
> > They are used for the same thing as the DIP switches on a TGA PCI card;
> > they indicate to the *SRM* console (and subsequently, to the DU TGA server)
> > what resolution/refresh rate you wish to run console (and X server) at.
> >
> > They are ignored by ARC console (AlphaBIOS as well, I think), and MILO.
>
> Are they ignored by the Linux console mode? Can the linux console mode be
> changed similar to using SVGAtextmode under Linux-Intel?

Oh, did I forget to mention they're ignored by the Linux kernel as well? :-)

Um, I guess if someone were to develop a TGAtextmode utility, the kernel could
be taught to work with it.

--Jay++

American Non Sequitur Society: we don't make sense, but we do like pizza...

Jay A Estabrook Alpha Migration Tools - LINUX Project
Digital Equipment Corp. (508) 952-4202 or (DTN) 227-4202
151 Taylor Street - TAY1-2 enet: jestabro@amt.tay1.dec.com
Littleton, MA 01460-1407 decnet: tallis::jestabro