Re: compiling xli - small program to reproduce problem w. gcc

Christian Czezatke (e9025461@student.tuwien.ac.at)
Tue, 05 Nov 1996 22:57:43 +0100

Hi!

Richard Henderson wrote:

> > After all these reports of problems compiling xli and other apps due
> > to a problem with gcc/alpha getting signal 6 I sat down and fooled
> > around with "xli.c" trying to produce a source that is as short as
> > possible and is still reproducing the problem. -- I finally got the
> > (rather short) listing included below.
>
> FWIW, this bug is fixed in the most recent gcc snapshot.
> Not that that does the public much good.

Thanks for your prompt answer on that! -- Am I getting that
right -- The problem is still there in 2.7.2 (as it comes
with RH 4.0) but is fixed in a more recent development release?

BTW: I really do prefer a compiler that crashes on certain input
patterns over one that emits bogus code for certain input patterns...
:-) (Had that twice on non-Linux platforms using non-GNU compilers...
;-) )

Christian

| Christian Czezatke, student of Computer Science at the           |
| Vienna University of Technology (Vienna, Austria, EUROPE)        |
| email: e9025461@student.tuwien.ac.at                             |
| PostODBC, a tool to talk to Postgres95 from Windows clients      |
| is freely available (LGPL) from:                                 |
| http://stud1.tuwien.ac.at/~e9025461/                             |
| If you are interested in receiving regular information on        |
| the state of PostODBC, please let me know                        |