Re: MAJOR trouble with 32 MB SIMMs in UDB

Joshua M. Thompson (invid@optera.com)
Tue, 5 Nov 1996 11:53:44 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 5 Nov 1996, Lee Burnside wrote:

> We've had great luck using 32MB SIMMS in our UDB's. Admittedly, an error
> in addressing (when crossing over the 64MB boundary) pops up after a warm
> boot, but a cold boot clears this right up.

What kind of error do you get? Is it a machine check error? I only cold
boot these machines and have never tried warm booting.

> You might make sure the SIMMS have no more than 24 chips on them; I don't
> know about the UDB's but I've seen many boxen that won't map anything
> with > 24 chips.

Twelve chips per side. Looks like eight 4 MB x 4 chips and four 4 MB x 1
chips.

> I tried running INN under RH 4.0 as ELF last night; no problems that I
> could see. Unfortunately, I didn't have much of a news spool set up, so
> I'm not sure how memory intensive the feed was; the memory load seemed
> fairly light.

Our server processes several incoming and outgoing feeds and typically has
a 50 - 60 MB footprint. The problem may only be showing up under a heavy
load.

> I didn't notice in your posting if you were sure the 8x36 SIMMS were
> "true" parity. Logic parity SIMMS will cause most (if not all) AXP's to
> croak.

They are true parity. Also there are no PALs or other logic chips evident
on the SIMMs to make me suspect that they are in fact logical parity
chips.

--
invid@optera.com             | We are Grey
http://www.optera.com/~invid | We stand between the Candle and the Star