Re: For Sale: 2 Alpha VX42 UDB-233

Koyama Tadayoshi (koyama@infocity.co.jp)
Mon, 04 Nov 1996 14:55:38 +0900

From: Iwao Jack Makino <imakino@gloria.cord.edu>
Subject: Re: For Sale: 2 Alpha VX42 UDB-233
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 1996 23:04:07 -0600 (CST)

Iwao Jack Makino <imakino@gloria.cord.edu> wrote:

> Japanese Environment for new kernel ??? Any suggestions will be
> appreciated. ---

I know that Japanese are considered as a lazy people for new
inovations and such, and I agree it at some aspect, but I think most
of them are not _ too_ lazy to stay using BLADE.

I don't know how they use Linux/AXP in general in Japan, but I myself
took RedHat to put it in, and am belive it is a popular package.

What kind of "Support" do you have in your mind? Can you say something
particular? Do you have your machine already be installed some
distribution? If not, I recomment a binary package at:

ftp://ftp.eni.co.jp/pub/Linux-Alpha/Linux-Alpha-JP/Goto-Archive/binary/
(There are no "installer", so you must un-tar them on some unices)

Or you may want to build some paticular applications in your current
environment by yourself from sources. You can find patches and sources
for many application at:
ftp://ftp.eni.co.jp/pub/Linux-Alpha/Linux-Alpha-JP/Goto-Archive/sources/

for later case, I don't know if current RedHat can host some
application well or not - you know, there are no working multibyte
locates for glibc yet. Newer releases of XFree (all of elf version?)
no longer is build with X_LOCALE option and may causes problem. You
should use old relases then.