Re: Stability

Stephen C. Tweedie (sct@dcs.ed.ac.uk)
Sat, 2 Nov 1996 22:36:33 GMT

Hi all,

On Wed, 23 Oct 1996 09:48:42 +0000, David A Rusling
<rusling@linux.reo.dec.com> said:

> Stephen Tweedie of Edinburgh University is using a PC64 as a web site,
> news reader and mailing list server if that's any use...

Indeed, and it is performing perfectly. We had a number of problems
at first, especially with the standard NCR SCSI driver, but those were
known problems with the axp kernel and we haven't had a single peep
from the SCSI bus in months now (two disks and a tape drive hanging
off the bus currently).

The only problem we have had recently is that xntpd was unable to keep
time in sync --- the clock was just too inaccurate for xntpd's use.
However, a rounding error in the kernel's timekeeping code was
identified a few 2.0.x kernel releases ago, and running a more recent
kernel has fixed that last problem.

The PC64 is performing like a champ and is currently (according to
benchmarks run by one of our professors) the fastest machine in the
department. It is exploding vger's lists for the whole of *.uk, and
it doesn't even notice the load which that incurs.

Cheers,
Stephen.