RE: Help for old axp? I've tried about EVERYTHING.

Castelijn, Maurice (Castelijn.Maurice@kpmg.nl)
Thu, 31 Oct 1996 10:46:19 +0100

>> already. I've had a few hints and tips about how to solve my
>> -oh-so-annoying-problem- with the DE-422 EISA network card. The end is
>> nearby, I've been trying almost everything you could imagine.
>[..]
>> to realise Linux doesn't WANT to find my ethernet card. I don't know
>> what's wrong. The card should be supported.
>
>From what I read on this list, that card is supported by Linux, but is
>(erroneously?) not included in the precompiled kernel by Red Hat. Thus
>you need to compile your own kernel[1]! Maybe this hasn't been explicitly
>stated yet, as most people here tend to assume that one who
>experiences Linux/AXP has been working with Linux before.

Yes, I've been looking everywhere possible. I've seen so many web pages
saying the card should be fully supported under Linux. Digital couldn't
tell that, because they only support OSF/1 and VMS, but what I don't
get, is that it seemed to work under OSF and VMS pretty well.

>> ***
>> Installing modules to add the depca.o in the kernel (?) doesn't seem to
>[..]
>
>Personally I don't like modules. I recommend to include it within the
>kernel.

I don't like them either =) .. But I wish I could find the bloody files
that are needed. Just knowing they EXIST would be pretty nice. If you
get solutions all the time that need certain files that aren't part of
your standard system (why not, I would say, been installing everything)
it doesn't make you feel too happy.

>> ***
>> The installation wasn't really successful, to my idea, because the 2nd
>> disk that needed to be inserted gave 4 errors. And after that it didn't
>
>Hm, try to put the images on clean, new, preformated disks, of a reputable
>vendor. I had several times problems with this, with several OSs, and
>I now only use boot disks once for each OS and version.

I had a time I had about 5 pairs of root and boot disks. Preformatted,
DOS formatted, Linux formatted, SUN formatted and another pair of disks
that seemed to be working earlier... All of them had a problem with the
2nd disk. And, to know I've been downloading that disk from the net... I
can't say anything else that something like that SHOULD be on the cd.
And it wasn't there, like MINLABEL and COPYBOOT.

>> give any errors at all. But, the thing is that when you try to use "boot
>> -fl "i" dka0" (in my case), I get the query to insert file and/or
>> argument. Then I chose for "- root=/dev/fd0 ramdisk=1440" which seemed
>> to be working. But, when I tried to use "boot -fl install dka0" it
>> didn't question me and I got a different way of loading the ramdisk.
>> (with <5><5><5> signs).
>
>Those are, as far as I recall, OK. That's probably some ESC-codes the
>console doesn't handle at that stage.

But isn't it awkward that the "INSTALL" option and the "i" option differ
from eachother?

>> And when I tried the last option, it refused to
>> load the 2nd disk (error: "disk seems to be absent or has been changed")
>> and the option with 'INSTALL' didn't do that at all. Documents on the
>
>The "INSTALL" is used by the kernels by Jim Paradis. RedHat kernels,
>to the best of my knowledge, do not understand this option. But if you
>use the Aboot loader, and apparently you do, you don't need that. The
>'INSTALL' option was a special one to imply the other's, as the
>Jensen's console can only forward an option string with a maximum of 8
>characters. In case you use a kernel by Jim, be sure to write
>'boot -fl "INSTALL" dka0'. I once noticed the '"' makes a difference,
>but that might be dependent of the firmware version in use.

I'm using firmware version 1.7 (probably VERY old).

Handy to know Jensen can only handle a max. of 8 characters as an option
string!

>> internet use different ways that can confuse you very easily. I'm afraid
>> some packages aren't installed correctly. Although I have chosen to
>> install EVERY single thing.
>
>The RedHat install needs the "boot" floppy, to copy a kernel from
>it. It doesn't prompt for it, so insert it immediately after starting
>the installation script! In case the floppy

... in case the floppy...yes?

Yes, but then it whines about not finding the right disk and it hangs.
That happened to me too often. Perhaps that there's someone who's
reading this has the right boot floppies, so that I can ftp them from
his/her site?

>> Is there a program (such as SuperProbe) that can scan my complete
>> hardware and see what kind of cards are in my system? My 2000 AXP 300
>> doesn't seem to like the fact I'm trying to run SuperProbe, because it
>> gives memory errors. On this list, someone posted something about that
>> SuperProbe won't work on an Alpha. How can I test my stuff then? Is
>> there any solution?
>
>Ahem, SuperProbe as I know it doesn't scan your complete hardware, but
>just the graphics adapter! I ported it to the Jensen, but since only
>S3 card's are supported on the Jensen with Linux yet, I didn't bother
>to offer a binary, since the XF86_S3.jensen server can probe those on
>its own.

Ah, silly me. That's true, you only use SuperProbe to determine the
settings of your video for XWindows... yep. I'm waiting for a SuperProbe
to run under Alpha systems... perhaps something for RH 4.1? =)

>> PS. IF I'll find out how to solve things, I will write a full FAQ on it
>> and post it. But, then I really need your assistance...
>
>Great :-). One reason that there is so little knowledge about
>bootstrapping the Jensen is, that once it is done, you never need
>to redo it ;-). Upgrading is easy!

Well, nice to know. If only I had the system fully operationale, then I
would still write the FAQ and would post it... but it's still a
challenge to achieve a system with NO problems at all. Well, a few
then.. but not like I'm having them right now!!

>Good luck,
> Martin

Thanks, I will try to recompile the kernel AGAIN. Last time I did it, it
put the image some place I wasn't able to find it. Not even with find on
a specific date. Weird huh? Am I losing my mind or is working on 'half'
a computer not so splendid?

>[1] Compiling a Kernel:
>Install the appropriate kernel source RPM. 'cd /usr/src/linux; make
>config'. Answer those question. Choose 'Jensen' as system type, and
>say 'y'(es) to SRM support[2]. On most of the other options, the standard
>answer is OK. Don't include any PCI stuff! Say yes to your network
>adapter! At most of the questions, you get an explanation with '?'.
>Then enter 'make clean; make depend; make boot'.
>
>Copy the result '/usr/src/linux/arch/alpha/boot/vmlinux.gz' to
>'/vmlinux.new.gz'.
>
>[2] Some kernels didn't ask for SRM support in conjunction with the
>Jensen. Others imply it. You might want to use newer sources. I use
>version 2.0.19 right know.
>
>--
>Martin Ostermann | mailto:ost@comnets.rwth-aachen.de
>Communication Networks | http://www.comnets.rwth-aachen.de/~ost
>Aachen University of Technology | phoneto:++49/241/807917
>Germany | faxto:++49/241/8890378
>
>--

Thank you very much. I will keep you posted (with problems or solutions
=))

Maurice.