Re: For Sale: 2 Alpha VX42 UDB-233

David Morton (mortond@ccnet.com)
Fri, 01 Nov 1996 18:49:01 -0800

At 12:47 AM 10/31/96 -0500, you wrote:
>Just out of curiosity, can you tell me exactly *what* crucial servers
>you require that are available only on Linux/Intel? Since we at
>Digital have a vested interest in removing impediments to using
>Linux/Alpha, we'd like to know what those impediments are...
>
>--
>Jim Paradis (paradis@amt.tay1.dec.com) "It's not procrastination,
>Digital Equipment Corporation it's my new Just-In-Time
>(508)952-4047 Workload Management System!"
>http://www.tiac.net/users/jrp/index.html
>
>--

I don't know about servers but how about support for Adaptec 2940UW SCSI
controllers.
It seems a trifle ridiculous to have a 433 MHz machine but have to use slow
components to enable Linux to run.

I purchased my machine from DCG. Good guys!!! Unfortunately it is a sad
comment on the present business climate that when one receives good,
attentive service and the product works as advertised it comes as a HUGE
surprise, DCG managed to achieve this.

I wished I could say the same for Red Hat. I purchased Linux V4 paid for
overnight shipping, product was delivered 5 days later. Now I find the
2940UW is not supported and 'Tech support' tell me I will have an answer in
4 - 5 days!!!

Craftworks don't have their CD ready yet.

So basically Linux won't install on a box with a 2940UW and NT4.0 won't run
using a BusLogic ultra card ( Steve Gaudet and I discussed this during my
purchase )

I understand that DCG are attempting to resolve this matter, but some help
from the 'big boys' wouldn't go amiss.

Thanks

David Morton