Re: Unsupported Linux/Alpha Software

Tom Hume (tom@goodtech.co.uk)
Fri, 1 Nov 1996 20:33:44 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 1 Nov 1996, Scott Serr wrote:

> Jim, I'm aware of Randy Chapman etc... I wonder if we could pool our money
> and buy him a DEC Alpha to con him into doing this port. Everyone send
> Randy Chapman $2 with a note "For an Alpha to port Java to." :)

I asked about Java for Linux/Alpha a while back on the Java-Linux lists
and got interested noises back from Randy...

> I'm interested in doing the port! Really, I just don't think the Linux/Alpha
> community would like it if I did. I feel that I don't have the expertise,
> cleaverness, or general knowledge to get it done before 2010. :(

This is exactly how I feel - I'd love to see a port for Linux/AXP, but
I'm not sure I've got the expertise... having said that I'm prepared to
give it a go (cribbing heavily from any diffs that I could get from Randy
and/or the people who did the OSF port)...

Tom