Re: Multi Ethernet

Wolfgang Dreyer (wdr@quant-x.com)
Fri, 1 Nov 1996 20:28:29 +0100

At 11:52 Uhr 01.11.1996, Randale Sechrest wrote:
>Just got a Multia AXP 166.
>
>Two questions/problems.
>
>What to use for Xwindows server? (add a new video card????)

Directions to install RedHat 3.0.3 Linux Alpha on UDB

(The same should apply for the PC64 and EB164 motherboard, just the milo)
(&.img files are different)

Instructions on how to a system from scratch, starting with

o Red Hat 3.0.3 Linux Alpha CD-ROM
o 3 blank floppies
linload.exe & "milo"<dos format>
udb.img <BOOT> <use noname.img>
ramdisk.img <ROOT>
o PC running dos (or something that will allow you to make these
diskettes)

* Create linload.exe & milo DOS floppy:

Insert the Red Hat CD into a DOS based PC system and access the CD.
You will find linload.exe in under milo\arc\, find linload.exe, copy it onto
your DOS floppy.

On same floppy as linload.exe, install milo, here's how:
For the UDB go to milo\images\udb\, copy milo onto your
floppy.

* Create the boot floppy by installing a write-enabled blank floppy in your PC
floppy drive follow the following instructions:

First, because MILO can't read a DOS floppy you will have to copy
"rawrite" into your DOS directory as follows"

In \dosutils on your Red Hat CD you'll see rawrite.exe copy it into
your
directory on your PC where DOS resides, ie:\dos. Once rawrite is there than
you
can do a rawrite from your Red Hat CD onto your installed floppy.

On the Red Hat CD find \images\1390\noname.img, type in the following:
rawrite -f noname.img -d a: -n, should be no response errors.
FYI; a PC will be unable to read this floppy image now.

Pull out the floppy, mark it "UDB.IMG", this is now your BOOT floppy,
install a new floppy into your drive.

Same applies for the PC64 & EB164, \images\1390\cabrio.img type in the
following:
rawrite -f cabrio.img -d a: -n, should be no response errors.
FYI; a PC will be unable to read this floppy image now.

* Create the ramdisk image floppy as follows:

Again on the Red Hat CD find \images\ramdisk.img, then
rawrite -f ramdisk.img -d a: -n, should be no response errors.

Pull out the floppy, mark it RAMDISK.IMG, this is now your ROOT floppy.

We are now ready to load Red Hat Linux onto your Multia system.

* Turn on the power to the system. It will think for a while (perhaps 30
seconds) before displaying anything on the screen -- don't let that
throw you.

Ultimately you'll see a blue screen, a couple of "Initializing"
messages, and probably an odd-colored screen that says "Warning: the
firmware has found a problem". You can ignore these.

When you see the boot menu, and the countdown timer, press down arrow
to stop it from remote booting.

It's also possible that you'll see "Error: Device error, press any
key to continue" -- especially if you have a factory-fresh UDB.
Press some key, then press the "down arrow" key immediately, as
you'll probably be at the boot menu.

* You're now at the Boot menu. Select "Supplementary menu", then
"Display hardware configuration." Note the amount of physical
memory, *as* *displayed*! The SIMMs in the UDB have lots and lots of
chips, and might fool you into believing you have more memory than
you really do.

* Now zip through the "Press any key to continue" displays, and note
the many interesting things that the ARC console can tell you about
your system :-)

* Back at the "Supplementary menu," select "Set up the system...",
then "Manage boot selection menu...", then "Delete a boot
selection...". Delete any and all existing boot selections!

* Now, from the "Boot selections menu," select "Add a boot
selection..."

* At "Select a system partition for this boot selection," select
"Floppy disk 0".

* At "Enter the osloader directory and name:...", delete the existing
text and enter "linload.exe"

* To "Is the operating system in the same partition as the osloader,"
select "Yes"

* At "Enter the operating system root directory," delete all characters
from the default response, and enter "milo".

* At "Enter a name for this boot selection," delete the existing
answer and type "floppy milo"

* To "Do you want to initialize the debugger at boot time," select
"no"

* Back at the boot selection menu, select "Change a boot selection",
and then select "floppy milo" (which should be the only selection at
this point), and press ENTER.

* Press ESCape to exit from this menu.

* DownArrow to "Supplementary menu, and save changes...", then press
ENTER.

* Now it gets exciting! Put the milo floppy in the floppy drive,
and select "Boot menu", then "Boot floppy milo". If all goes well,
you'll see some load messages, and the floppy will chug for a while,
then you'll see the "MILO>" prompt.

* Insert the BOOT floppy, and type

boot fd0:vmlinux.gz root=/dev/fd0 load_ramdisk=1

* You'll see some "scsi:" messages go by, and quite possibly a
"machine check" message or two -- you can ignore all of those. Then
you should see a series of hash marks ("###"), and a bunch more
messages, until you see

"VFS: Insert ROOT floppy to be loaded into ramdisk and press ENTER"

At this time, remove the boot floppy and insert the ramdisk floppy,
and press ENTER.

* Linux will print a series of <5>/ across the screen as it loads the
ram disk; it will then start the Red Hat installation.

* To "What type of source installation media do you want to use,"
type "1" (for CD-Rom installation), then press ENTER.

* A few more messages will appear, including one that says something
about "invalid arguments," that you can ignore.

When it asks you to insert your boot floppy, remove the ramdisk
floppy, insert the boot floppy, and press ENTER.

* When it asks "Do you need to partition your disks," select "yes" by
pressing ENTER.

* A screen titled "Disk Partitions" is displayed. Press ENTER.

* Some error messages will appear. Ignore them.

A screen titled "Disk Partitioning" is displayed. Ensure that the
"fdisk" entry is highlighted, and press ENTER.

If you can't get into fdisk as described above do the following:

At this point the system get a mini load installed and next step is to
prepare the hard disk. Your going to need to partition the hard drive.
The screen will come up to ask you if you want to do it but, will not respond.
Therefore, highlight "done" and move to installation screen. At installation
screen highlight "shell", Alt F2, this will take you to a #. From here you
want to type in "cd /usr/bin ".

Type "mke2fs /dev/sda"
type "fdisk"
type "x" takes you to an expert screen

enter in the cylinders, sectors and heads of your hard disk, i.e.:
c=cylinders 2112
h=heads 16
s=sectors 63
should show 2128896 blocks, done by 2112x16x63=

type "r" to return to menu, also saves parameters

Partition disk as follows:
A = "/" for root
B= "/usr" for user
C= "swap" needed for swap space, usual rule is 2x memory size,
ie: 32mb x 2 = 64mb swap.

Type "t" to change partition "A" to 4
Changed system type of partition 1 to 4 (DOS 16-bit <32M)

Type "t" to change partition "C" to swap, enter "82 " for Linux swap code.

Type "p" to verify that the partitions have been entered properly.

Type "w" to write table to disk.

At # hit Alt F1 to get back to Linux install program

Choose "Express"

Express will walk you through setup and format the partitions as follows:
/dev/sda3 = swap
/dev/sda1 = /
/dev/sda2= /usr

IF FDISK works from Red Hat installation then:

* When it asks "Which disk do you want to partition," and highlights
"/dev/sda", press ENTER.

* (You'll see a couple of "kernel: unaligned trap" messages now, and
through the next couple of steps. you can ignore them.)

Delete any existing disk partitions, as follows (ignore warnings
and error messages in this step):

Command (m for help): d
Partition number (1-4): 4
Command (m for help): d
Partition number (1-4): 3
Command (m for help): d
Partition number (1-4): 2
Command (m for help): d
Partition number (1-4): 1

Now create the desired partitions, please note every drive is different. THIS
IS ONLY AN EXAMPLE:

Command (m for help): n
Command action /e extended /p primary partition: p < / root>
Partition number (1-4): 1
First cylinder (1-324): 1
Last cylinder or +size ...: +1440K (***** This must be followed*****)

Command (m for help): t
Partition number (1-4): 1
Hex code (type L to list codes): 4
Changed system type of partition 1 to 4 (DOS 16-bit <32M)

Command (m for help): n
Command action /e extended /p primary partition: p </usr>
Partition number (1-4): 2
First cylinder (3-324): 3
Last cylinder or +size ...: 291 (** make this a big as possible **)
(** remember about swap, though **)
Command (m for help): n
Command action /e extended /p primary partition: p </swap>
Partition number (1-4): 3
First cylinder (292-324): 292
Last cylinder or +size ...: 324 (** I try to make it twice memory
size **)
(** however, some make it same as
mem size**)
Command (m for help): t
Partition number (1-4): 3
Hex code (type L to list codes): 82
Changed system type of partition 2 to 82 (Linux swap)

Command (m for help): w

* After a few initimidating messages which you can ignore, you'll see
"Hit enter to continue" -- press ENTER.

* Back at the "Disk partitioning" screen, downArrow to "done", then press ENTER.

* At the next screen, downArrow to "Continue", then press ENTER.

* At the "Add swap" screen, press ENTER to select "Yes".

* After a brief pause, you'll see the "Format Swap" screen, which will
say "This may take a minute" -- wait patiently.

* At the "Net Config" screen, press ENTER to select "Yes".

* At the "Filesystems" screen, press spaceBar to select /dev/sda2, and
press ENTER.

* At the next screen, asking "Are you absolutely certain...", press
ENTER.

* Now comes the package selection. Press upArrow or downArrow to get
to a package name, and then press spaceBar to select the package.
(If you accidentally select the wrong package, press spaceBar again
to de-select it.)

Select the following packages: (** for 300mb disks your limited to this **)

Shells
Communications
Printing
Networking
Network Admin
Networking Servers
Development Libraries
Games
Development
Mail
Sound

When everything has been selected, press ENTER.

* The installation procedure will now format the SCSI disk and install
the packages that you've selected. This will take about an hour,
so go do something else while it finishes. Also if the screen goes black
which it will, hit space bar to bring it back.

* Ultimately, you'll get to a screeen that says "Package Installation
is complete." Press ENTER.

* At some point you'll be asked about graphics adapter. If your using TGA
than select the ATI Mach card it will ask you less questions. Don't probe
for clocks and such, just get through the install.

* The kernel image from the boot floppy will now be copied to your
system, and then a screen asking "Which type of mouse do you have?"
DownArrow to the option "ps2-bus : C&T 82C710 or PS/2 sytle (aux port)"
and press ENTER.

* Now comes "Networking has already been configured (probably for an
NFS install). Do you wish to use this configuration..." Unless you
have some good reason not to, press ENTER.

* Now comes "Select the devide (serial port) to which your modem is
connected." The basic UDB has no modem, so press ENTER to select
"<none> : No Modem".

* "Is your system clock set to local time or GMT?" Press ENTER to
select "ARC Time".

* "Pick a time zone." DownArrow to your timezone, and press ENTER.

* "Select a keymap." DownArrow to the correct selection ("us.map" for
the U.S.), and press ENTER.

* "Do you want to create a user account?" Press ENTER to select "yes."

* "Enter a name for the user account..." -- type "guest" (all
lowercase!) and press ENTER.

* "If your home directories ... Do you want to create a home directory
for guest?" -- press ENTER to select "yes."

* "Do you want to create another user account?" -- RightArrow to
select "No" and press ENTER.

* "You will now enter a password for the root user (super-user). If
you forget this password, you must re-install the system!" -- Press
ENTER.

* Now, in the black area at the bottom of the screen, you will see

Changing password for root
New password (? for help):

Type "root" (all lowercase, it won't echo), and press ENTER.

New password (again):

Again, type "root" and press RETURN.

* The system will display a screen that says "Your installation is
finished... Shutdown now?" Press ENTER.

* Now you will see a message that says "When you hit enter your
computer will be rebooted. Be sure to remove the boot floppy from
your floppy drive!" Press ENTER.

* Remove the boot floppy, and insert the milo floppy.

* Turn the power off, and then on again. (The UDB has no reboot
switch.)

* Press ENTER to select "Boot floppy milo".

* Ultimately the screen will go dark and you'll see a couple of milo
messages, culminating in the "MILO>" prompt.

Type "boot sda2:vmlinux.gz" and press ENTER.

The system will now take a couple of minutes to boot...

* You should now see the messages

Red Hat Linux release 2.1
Kernel 1.3.xx on a alpha

login:

Login as root (password "root").

* Change the guest password:

1. Enter the command "passwd guest" and press ENTER.
2. At the bottom of the screen, you will see the message
"/usr/lib/npasswd/npasswd.motd (END)" -- press the letter
"q" (lowercase!)
3. Now, when it says "New password (? for help):", type
"guest" (it won't echo) and press ENTER.
To "New password (again):", again type "guest" and press
ENTER.

* With the milo & linload.exe floppy installed enter the following
command (neatness counts a whole lot on this step, so be careful!)

dd if=/dev/fd0 of=/dev/sda1 bs=10240

Should look like this:

[root@dcg /root]# dd if=/dev/fd0 of=/dev/sda1 bs=10240
144+0 records in
144+0 records out
[root@dcg /root]#

* Shutdown the system with the command "shutdown -h now".

* When you get to the message "The system is halted, INIT: No more
processes left in runlevel 0," turn off the power, remove the milo
floppy, and turn the power back on.

* When you get back to the blue screen, you will see a couple of
"Initializing ..." messages, and then a screen that says "Something
is inconsistent."

Finally, you will get to the boot menu. DownArrow to "Supplementary
menu...", and press ENTER.

* DownArrow to "Set up the system..." and press ENTER.

* DownArrow to "Manage boot selection menu..." and press ENTER.

* "Add a boot selection..." should be highlighted now. Press ENTER.

* "SCSI Bus 0 Hard Disk 0 Partition 1" should be highlighed now. (If
it isn't, downArrow to it. If it's not even there, downArrow to "New
system partition" and select it from there.) Press ENTER.

* "Enter the osloader directory and name:" -- BACKSPACE over the
existing text and enter "linload.exe", the press ENTER.

* "Is the operating system in the same partition as the osloader:" --
press ENTER to select "Yes."

* "Enter the operating system root directory: -- BACKSPACE over the
existing text and enter "milo".

* "Enter a name for this boot selection:" -- BACKSPACE over the
existing text, enter "LINUX", and press ENTER.

* "Do you want to initialize the debugger at boot time:" -- press
ENTER to select "no."

* ESC back one screen.

* DownArrow to "Change a boot selection..."

* Press ENTER to select "LINUX".

* DownArrow to select OSLOADOPTIONS, and press ENTER.

* BACKSPACE over the existing text "debugger" and type,
as above, enter "boot sda2:vmlinux.gz". Then press ENTER.

* Press ESC (the "ESCAPE" key) to get back to the "Boot selections
menu.

* DownArrow to "Setup menu...", and press ENTER.

* DownArrow to "Setup autoboot...", and press ENTER.

* "Should the system autoboot?" -- press ENTER to select "Yes."

* "Enter Countdown value (in seconds): 10" -- BACKSPACE over "10" and
type "30", then press ENTER.

* DownArrow to "Supplementary menu, and save changes...", and press
ENTER.

* RESET system and it should now default to "LINUX" and boot up when count
down time is reached.

Notes:

1. You should edit /etc/hosts to remove your own network address from
the system if you will be shipping the system to someone else.
(Just change the address from whatever you used originally to
"127.0.0.1".)

Configuring the X TGA server

Preperation:
Delete the old Xserver(selected during the redhat install)
This is located in the dir: /usr/X11R6/bin/ usually called either XF86_S3
or XF86_MACH64

obtain the latest Xserver and README/Config file from either:

ftp.digital.com/pub/Digital/Linux-Alpha/X11

or

on the Red Hat CD \X

The files are:
axpbin-Xtga-BETA-0.2.gz ;Xserver
axpbin-Xtga-BETA-0.2.README ;README/Config

>From the CD do the following:

root]# cd /
root]# mount /dev/scd0 mnt
root]# cd mnt
root]# ls (should see the CD Rom)

gunzip the Xserver
copy/rename it to the dir: /usr/X11R6/bin/ renamed to XF86_TGA

chmod 4711 XF86_TGA

copy/rename the README to: /etc/X11 renamed to XF86Config
edit it with vi comment out all the instructions in the beginning with #

(This is at the top with notes from Jay Estabrook. You have to comment )
(out the notes or the X server will not start properly)

from the root issue:
ln -sf /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_TGA /etc/X11/X

this relinks the server to X windows

type startx

If your using a S3 card than go into /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/
type "xf86config"

this will take you through a build procedure.

>When I try to install networking the boot stalls at:
>
>"eth0 is TP"

your network is wrong configured. give him time to time out.

Perhaps it can take one or two hours.

Than login. Start X

call netcfg and disable you networkport and reconfigure all the
nameservers. gateways, and addresses.