Re: EB164 scsi hang with Redhat 4.0

Maurice Hilarius (maurice@ellpspace.math.ualberta.ca)
Fri, 1 Nov 1996 08:23:03 -0700

At 09:03 hrs. 10-31-96 -0500, you wrote:
>> I have an EB164 machine with an NCR 53c825 fast wide scsi controller and
>> a Quantum XP34300W fast wide drive. Redhat 3.0.3 was working fine. I'm
>> now trying to install 4.0 from scratch. I've tried more than 20 times to
>> do this but the machine dies every time while trying to prepare the swap
>> partition. I have a 64Meg swap partition. I tried a 32 Meg swap for
>> grins. That works but things hang during mke2fs.
>
>Hmmm... I had that problem too, but I thought it was the flako SCSI
>controller on the machine I was using...
>
>In any case, you probably have enough memory to do the following
>workaround: don't enable or initialize ANY swap partitions during
>installation (you can create the partition(s), just don't try to
>use them as swap partitions). Once your install is complete, do
>the "mkswap" by hand and add them to fstab by hand...

I have had similar experience with EB164's and it turned out to be flaky
cache RAM on the EB164. Apparently DEC had a bad batch this summer.
I hope yours is not one of these...

Cheers,
Maurice
| Maurice Hilarius | The Past is History |
| President / Computer Entomologist | The Future is Mystery |
| Hard Data Ltd. | Today is a Gift |
| 403-456-1510 / FAX 403-457-1338 | That is why they call it |
| maurice@ellpspace.math.ualberta.ca | The Present |