RE: Help for old axp? I've tried about EVERYTHING.

Castelijn, Maurice (Castelijn.Maurice@kpmg.nl)
Thu, 31 Oct 1996 18:29:02 +0100

>> already. I've had a few hints and tips about how to solve my
>> -oh-so-annoying-problem- with the DE-422 EISA network card. The end is
>> nearby, I've been trying almost everything you could imagine.
>[..]
>> to realise Linux doesn't WANT to find my ethernet card. I don't know
>> what's wrong. The card should be supported.
>
>From what I read on this list, that card is supported by Linux, but is
>(erroneously?) not included in the precompiled kernel by Red Hat. Thus
>you need to compile your own kernel[1]! Maybe this hasn't been explicitly
>stated yet, as most people here tend to assume that one who
>experiences Linux/AXP has been working with Linux before.

It should be working, yes... that's what most of the dec-sites and other
FAQs tell me... but when I look in the 'make config' when I try to
compile the kernel, I only see support for DE4x5... and that's not the
one I have.

>> ***
>> Installing modules to add the depca.o in the kernel (?) doesn't seem to
>[..]
>
>Personally I don't like modules. I recommend to include it within the
>kernel.

I wish I COULD dislike them: when I try to install them from an rpm
package, I can't do a thing with them... this is absolutely the weirdest
thing ever happened to me... I don't think I get the idea of rpm
packages?

>> ***
>> The installation wasn't really successful, to my idea, because the 2nd
>> disk that needed to be inserted gave 4 errors. And after that it didn't
>
>Hm, try to put the images on clean, new, preformated disks, of a reputable
>vendor. I had several times problems with this, with several OSs, and
>I now only use boot disks once for each OS and version.

Yes, but 5 sets of disks all failed. Doesn't that say a thing while 4 of
the pairs were preformatted, formatted by Sun/Os, formatted by Linux,
formatted by DOS... argghhh!! I just want to boot without having to use
those floppy disks!!! (we don't live in prehistoric age anymore, do we?)

Besides, VMS install is easy: just boot from cd and voila. Same for
OSF/1. I know these are old, but Linux (my favorite) doesn't have that
option..............

>> give any errors at all. But, the thing is that when you try to use "boot
>> -fl "i" dka0" (in my case), I get the query to insert file and/or
>> argument. Then I chose for "- root=/dev/fd0 ramdisk=1440" which seemed
>> to be working. But, when I tried to use "boot -fl install dka0" it
>> didn't question me and I got a different way of loading the ramdisk.
>> (with <5><5><5> signs).
>
>Those are, as far as I recall, OK. That's probably some ESC-codes the
>console doesn't handle at that stage.

Hmm, but still I don't see why there isn't just ONE option... it all
makes people so confused having to try all the defaults and other
options that are available. Like "help" under UNIX: it's either
<command> --help or <command> -h ... right? And that's become a
standard.

>> And when I tried the last option, it refused to
>> load the 2nd disk (error: "disk seems to be absent or has been changed")
>> and the option with 'INSTALL' didn't do that at all. Documents on the
>
>The "INSTALL" is used by the kernels by Jim Paradis. RedHat kernels,
>to the best of my knowledge, do not understand this option. But if you
>use the Aboot loader, and apparently you do, you don't need that. The
>'INSTALL' option was a special one to imply the other's, as the
>Jensen's console can only forward an option string with a maximum of 8
>characters. In case you use a kernel by Jim, be sure to write
>'boot -fl "INSTALL" dka0'. I once noticed the '"' makes a difference,
>but that might be dependent of the firmware version in use.

I'm using firmware 1.7... but I don't think that has got to do anything
with it.

>> internet use different ways that can confuse you very easily. I'm afraid
>> some packages aren't installed correctly. Although I have chosen to
>> install EVERY single thing.
>
>The RedHat install needs the "boot" floppy, to copy a kernel from
>it. It doesn't prompt for it, so insert it immediately after starting
>the installation script! In case the floppy

... in case the floppy... yes?

The boot floppy is needed, but why does my system run ok then, while I
had a few errors in the installation procedure? That's not my favorite
thing. I would like to have no errors, as far as I'm concerned. I know
that's not easy, but it should be a goal...

>> Is there a program (such as SuperProbe) that can scan my complete
>> hardware and see what kind of cards are in my system? My 2000 AXP 300
>> doesn't seem to like the fact I'm trying to run SuperProbe, because it
>> gives memory errors. On this list, someone posted something about that
>> SuperProbe won't work on an Alpha. How can I test my stuff then? Is
>> there any solution?
>
>Ahem, SuperProbe as I know it doesn't scan your complete hardware, but
>just the graphics adapter! I ported it to the Jensen, but since only
>S3 card's are supported on the Jensen with Linux yet, I didn't bother
>to offer a binary, since the XF86_S3.jensen server can probe those on
>its own.

*nod* ... That's true.. but how can I detect the rest of my hardware
then? I hate to say it, but Windows 95 has got a better hardware
detection system :-p ... No that wasn't serious. But what I'm trying to
accomplish is a way to find out about all my hardware settings. Not by
looking in the ECU of the Jensen or looking in the console prompt. No,
under Linux. In the future it will be a must, I can already tell that.

>> PS. IF I'll find out how to solve things, I will write a full FAQ on it
>> and post it. But, then I really need your assistance...
>
>Great :-). One reason that there is so little knowledge about
>bootstrapping the Jensen is, that once it is done, you never need
>to redo it ;-). Upgrading is easy!

Hmm, installing isn't easy... I really wonder how upgrading will go...
But, if things are running smoothly, I will make a really extended FAQ
about everything I've been doing... (including hacing lunch, throwing
aroung with hammers... kicking colleagues out of pure
frustration........)

>Good luck,

I NEED it! - But haven't had it sofar....

> Martin

Oh Martin, look at the following error I get after doing the "make boot"
command:

[net........
net/network.a(ipx.o)(.lita+0x80): undefined reference to
`dev_queue_xmit'
net/network.a(ipx.o)(.lita+0xd8): undefined reference to `dev_get'
[LOTS MORE]

When I tried to do a make boot > output, the most important error
messages (see above) weren't included, but were written to console... so
couldn't get those in here....

I'm getting crazy... slowly... but surely....

More help would be more than appreciated!

Maurice.